Sunday, May 13, 2012

Oven Baked Bacon

If you've ever wondered how restaurants manage to make perfectly crisp bacon that stays flat let me tell you their secret. They bake it. That's right folks! They bake the bacon in the oven. This allows it to stay flat instead of turning into a curly mess that just doesn't work well on sandwiches. It also allows you to make way more bacon than you could in a single conventional skillet. This is usually how I make my bacon. I haven't really noticed that much bacon grease splatter in the oven which I know can be a concern. I like the addition of a sprinkle of brown sugar and chipotle chile powder when I flip it over. It adds a sweetness with a gentle smoky heat that is divine. This bacon is sooooo tasty that my friend Jessica STILL talks about it and it's been years since I made her some. She even told my boyfriend to make sure I make it for him, haha.

bacon
brown sugar
chipotle chile powder

1. Put a piece of parchment paper onto a baking sheet and lay your bacon onto it width-wise.

2. Place into a COLD oven and turn to 375*. Once you start to smell the bacon cooking and hear it sizzling check on it. Now, depending on how crispy you like your bacon it will cook for various times. Mine usually goes for 10 minutes the first round.

3. Flip the bacon over and sprinkle with as much brown sugar and chipotle chile powder as you want. Let cook until browned to your liking. For me this is another 5-10 minutes. Place onto paper towels with the brown sugar side UP to absorb excess grease and enjoy!

McCormick is the only brand of Chipotle Chile powder I use...

You can cook a lot more bacon on a baking sheet than a standard skillet

This is how the bacon looks when you flip it over. On the right you can see the brown sugar and chipotle.

Perfectly crisp and ready for a BLT! The bacon on the left has the chipotle on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment